When alcohol is ingested it passes from the stomach to the small intestine. About 20% of alcohol is absorbed through the stomach and the remaining 80% absorbed in the small intestine.
It is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and distributed throughout the body. Unlike food, alcohol does not need to be digested thus the body absorbs it much quicker causing alcohol to affect the central nervous system even in small concentrations.
Therefore, food in the stomach (especially fatty foods) slows the emptying of the stomach and the absorption of alcohol.
When someone drinks alcohol some of it enters the bloodstream. Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) levels represent the percent of your blood that is concentrated with alcohol. A BAC of .10 means that .1% of your bloodstream is composed of alcohol. In Nevada, if someone has a BAC of .08 percent they are considered legally intoxicated.
[dt_sc_button link=”https://aacsnv.com/effects-alcohol-1-7/” size=”small” variation=”red” align=”left” target=”_self”]Continue[/dt_sc_button]