If there comes a time when you must refuse service to a minor or who you feel has provided you false identification use the following procedure:
- Explain why you cannot serve/sell them alcohol
- Be firm and friendly and don’t embarrass them
- If your establishment allows minors inside, offer them an alternative non-alcoholic beverage
- Inform management and other staff that the person is a minor and they you have already refused them service
- Based on your company’s policy it is always a good idea to record the incident in a log
- If the ID appears to be fake do not confiscate it
Here are some helpful sayings:
- I’m sorry but it is against the law for me to serve alcohol to a minor.
- I apologize but based off the ID you have provided I cannot sell you alcohol I could lose my job.